Coast Central Announces a Total of $100,000 in Grants Awarded for Spring Round
Coast Central Credit Union President/CEO James T. Sessa announced that its Board of Directors has approved $100,000 in grants through its Community Investment Program’s spring round to 15 local organizations, the largest number in the program’s 13-year history. A total of 50 non-profits throughout three counties had requested over $617,000. Coast Central also supports its communities through sponsorship, college scholarship, and employee volunteer programs.
Spring 2021 recipients include:
Humboldt County: $63,625
- $12,500: Briceland Volunteer Fire Department for garage doors for its new fire station
- $10,000: Free to Fly Single Mom’s Fund for utility bills, rent, children’s school needs, etc.
- $7,350: Healy Senior Center for locally raised meat and produce for senior food programs
- $7,000: Seventh Generation Centro del Pueblo for gardens for Hispanic/Indigenous families
- $7,000: Fortuna Volunteer Fire Dept. for CPR equipment replacement
- $5,000: 2-1-1 Humboldt Info & Resource Center for clothes for low-income families
- $4,500: Arcata Volunteer Fire Dept. for wildland gear replacement
- $4,000: McKinleyville Family Resource Center for food pantry shelving
- $3,350: Mattole Valley Resource Center for food pantry storage and equipment
- $2,925: Blue Lake Volunteer Fire Dept. for emergency medical equipment and training
Del Norte County: $20,739
- $12,500: Del Norte Amateur Radio Club for emergency communications command center
- $8,239: For All Time Cat Haven for vet care and food for shelter cats
Trinity County: $15,636
- $9,636: Junction City Fire Protection District for defibrillator equipment replacement
- $3,000: North Fork Grange for on-site storage
- $3,000: Watershed Research & Training Center for youth safety training
“We saw a significant increase in the number of applications received this round, which demonstrates the vast and varied needs throughout our service areas,” Sessa stated. “Of the $100,000 total, over a third supports food and clothing-related needs of low-income families and seniors. Additionally, emergency equipment purchase and replacement was a prevalent need we identified. We thank our members for their support and applaud all 50 organizations for their tireless work to improving the quality of life in our communities.”
Coast Central Credit Union is the largest member-owned financial institution in the area, with $2 billion in assets, over 73,000 members, and operating 11 Member Services Branches throughout Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity counties, including McKinleyville, open six days a week and Bayshore Mall, open seven days a week. Additionally, members have access to a network of 30,000 free CO-OP ATMs nationwide. More information is available at coastccu.org and at facebook.com/coastcentral..