Eureka – Five community grants totaling $50,000 have been awarded by Coast Central Credit Union. This was announced today by Dean G. Christensen, the credit union’s President/CEO. To date, the credit union has awarded $500,000 to 35 worthwhile community organizations. As part of its Community Investment Program, the credit union’s volunteer Board of Directors approved the following community awards:
- $25,000 to the local chapter of the American National Red Cross for building disaster response and resilience in Humboldt and Del Norte counties.
- $5,035 to Mountain Communities Healthcare Foundation for the purchase of crucial equipment for the Hayfork Community Health Clinic.
- $9,500 to the McKinleyville Land Trust for the Chah-GAH-Choo trail improvement project.
- $6,000 to the Elk Valley Artisans for a mural at the Del Norte County Fairgrounds in Crescent City.
- $4,465 to the Eureka Junior Football League Association for new football helmets.
According to Dean G. Christensen, “the Coast Central Community Investment Program commits $100,000 each year to assist community organizations throughout Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity counties. This $100,000 is divided into two separate ‘rounds’ of $50,000 each. Individual awards range generally from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $25,000 and are granted to approximately three to six organizations during each round.” Christensen also stated that “on behalf of our membership, our Board, management and staff, I’m very proud that we’re able to give back to the communities we serve. This level of giving by the credit union will provide these organizations the necessary stimulus during trying economic times.”
This program, started in February 2008, is in addition to the numerous contributions and donations we already make to community organizations throughout the year. Recommendations from a pool of requests were made to the credit union’s Board of Directors by a committee comprised of credit union staff. Christensen stated, “Coast Central would also like to recognize and thank the Humboldt Area Foundation and its Donor Services Coordinator Sara Dronkers for assistance in our selection process.”
The second round of community grants by the credit union for 2013 is beginning now. Applications for grant requests can be obtained online at coastccu.org or by contacting the credit union at (707) 445-8801, ext. 309. You can also contact the Humboldt Area Foundation. The deadline for this round is Saturday, August 31, 2013.