APPLE PAY FAQs
As of April 2016, Coast Central Credit Union supports Apple Pay for all of our debit and credit cards.
What is Apple Pay?
Apple Pay is an easy, secure, and private way to pay using your iPhone 6 or newer and Apple Watch for purchases at participating merchants. There is no need to open an app or wake your display. All you need to do is hold your iPhone near the contactless reader with your finger on the Touch ID. You don’t even have to look at the screen to know your payment was successfully sent, a subtle vibration and/or beep will let you know. We recommend that you also make sure the merchant transaction is complete as the iPhone and Apple Watch may be quicker than the merchant terminal.
Apple Pay can also be used to pay with a single touch in apps. Checking out is as easy as selecting “Apple Pay” and placing your finger on the Touch ID.
How do I set up Apple Pay?
- Use the “Wallet” app on your iPhone, or the “Apple Watch” app for your Watch to start the setup process.
- If your Visa credit or debit card is already on file with Apple (iTunes) and is eligible for the service, you will be offered an option to use it as your default account for Apple Pay by simply entering your three digit card value from the back of the card. You must also verify your address on file with iTunes matches your address on file with Coast Central Credit Union.
- If not, you have the option to add other accounts and will be prompted for a one-time entry of account details such as name, address, card number, expiration date, and the three digit card verification value that can be found on the back of your card. The first card number you enter is automatically your default card but you can enter multiple cards to use.
- After loading your card (either by taking a picture or manually entering the card information), Visa and Apple will verify the card information. If approved, the digital account number or token number is automatically transmitted to your Apple device. If they are unable to verify the card information, the next screen will tell you to contact Coast Central Credit Union to complete the verification process. Coast Central will verify your information by phone or in a Member Services Branch and complete the verification process. Your digital account number or token number will be transferred directly to your Apple device.
- A confirmation letter will be sent from Coast Central Credit Union after the verification process is complete. If you receive this letter and did not enroll in Apple Pay please contact Coast Central Credit union immediately at 707-445-8801.
Will I be able to complete the set up process after hours or weekends?
- If Apple and Visa can verify all card information they can complete enrollment electronically.
- If your card information cannot be verified electronically, you will need to complete the enrollment process by calling our Member Support Center at 707-445-8801 or by coming into a Member Services Branch. Card Verification can only be completed Monday through Thursday from 8:30am to 5:30pm and Friday from 8:30am to 6:00pm.
What is a “Digital Account Number” or “Token Number”?
Your payment card information, such as the 16-digit account number found on the front of your card, will be replaced with a digital account number or token number that can be securely stored on Apple devices and used to make purchases. Your credit and debit card numbers are NOT stored on the device, or on Apple servers. This helps to reduce the potential for fraud.
Can Apple Pay be used with both Debit and Credit cards?
Both credit and debit cards can be used with Apple Pay. If you are using your debit card, you may be asked to enter your pin number, follow all instructions from the merchant. Apple pay cannot be used with Coast Central HSA debit cards or a Coast Central Prepaid cards.
Is Apple Pay safe?
Yes, it is more secure than using your actual card. Every time you use your credit or debit card, your name, card number, and three digit code is visible. With Apple Pay instead of using your actual credit or debit card numbers, when you add your card to the Wallet app, a unique digital account number or token number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in your iPhone or Apple Watch. Once the token is assigned, you can use your digital wallet to pay at contactless-merchants or within applications loaded to your device.
When you make a purchase, the token, along with a transaction specific dynamic security code, is used to process your payment. Your three digit code on the back of your card is not shared with merchants or transmitted with payment. To add an additional measure of security, your full credit or debit card numbers are not stored on your phone or shown to the merchant.
What if my physical Visa Credit or Debit card is lost or stolen?
Contact Coast Central Credit Union immediately and your card number will be blocked. The card will no longer be valid on Apple Pay and will need to be removed from your Wallet app. A new card will be issued that will need to be loaded in your Wallet and a new digital account number or token will be assigned.
What if my Apple device is lost or stolen?
Use “Find My Apple Device” to remove your card from your Apple device. Once you receive your new device simply add your cards to your Apple Wallet. In the meantime, you can continue to use your physical card without interruption.
Am I liable for fraudulent transactions?
No, whether you use a digital account number or a physical card, you are protected with Visa Zero Liability against fraudulent transactions.
Is Apple Pay available internationally?
Yes, Apple Pay is available in the United States and internationally. Visit the Apple website at www.apple.com/apple-pay/ for more information.
If I have an iPhone and an Apple Watch will they both be enrolled?
You can enroll your cards on multiple devices but are required to do each device individually. Each device will have its own digital account number or token number.
When using Apple Pay, what will my receipts look like?
The receipt will be similar but it will show the last four numbers of your digital account number or token number. Your Credit or Debit card number will not show on the receipt. Not all merchants will print a paper receipt.
What do I need to do when I receive a new, renewed, or replacement card?
- For new or replacement cards, you will go through the initial set up of providing the basic payment details to add the card to Apple Pay.
- For a card renewal, the new expiration date will automatically be provided from Visa to Apple seamlessly, with no action required by you.
Who do I contact with questions about my “Digital Account Number” or “Token”?
You can locate the last four digits of your digital account number or token number by accessing your Apple Wallet and clicking on the information icon. You can also come into any of Coast Central’s twelve Member Services Branches or contact our Member Support Center by phone at 707-445-8801.
How do I know who accepts Apple Pay locally?
You can access the Apple Website at www.apple.com/apple-pay/ for a complete listing of merchants. If you are at an Apple Pay location and the salesperson is unable to complete the process, make sure to speak with a Supervisor before changing payment methods.
Will Coast Central Credit Union be adding other payment forms, such as Android Pay or Samsung Pay?
Coast Central is currently evaluating the Apple Pay adoption rate before deciding to add additional payment services.