A Message to Our Members
For 70 years, Coast Central Credit Union has been here for you. That commitment couldn’t be stronger than it is now. We’re here to help.
As an identified “Essential Business,” we are directed to provide financial services to you, while keeping our members and employees safe. We are closely monitoring guidelines and news provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and our local health agencies, while reinforcing best health practices and cleaning procedures. This page is dedicated to answering your questions and helping our community stay strong in these uncertain times.
News & Information
Stay up to date on the latest info regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
- Humboldt County – Health Alert
- Humboldt County – Community Letter from Dr. Teresa Frankovich
- Del Norte County – Public Health
- Trinity County – Coronavirus Information
- Coast Central – Facebook CCCU
- Lost Coast Outpost
- Lost Coast Outpost – Masks Mandatory Starting Friday, 4/24
- California – Six Indicators: What must happen before California reopens
Resources & Information:
- Lost Coast Outpost – COVID-19 and Humboldt
- Small Business Development Center – Local Business Support
- California – Coronavirus (COVID-19) in California
- California – Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- World Health Organization – Coronavirus (Overview & more)
- California – Executive Order N-65-20: Actions in Response to COVID-19, 5/19
- California – Executive Order N-63-20: Extending Deadlines Impacted by COVID-19, 5/7
- California – Executive Order N-33-20: Stay at Home, 3/19
- Del Norte County – Masks Required 5/20
- Humboldt County – Shelter in Place – Revised 5/19
- Humboldt County – Facial Masks Order, Starting Friday, 4/24
- Humboldt County – Shelter in Place FAQs 3/31
- Humboldt County – Shelter in Place Order 3/30
Resources for Parents & Children:
- Humboldt County Office of Education – COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Resources & Information
- Practical Money Skills – We offer free and fun educational material for adults, teens, and children.
- Humboldt County – Resources for Children at Home
- North Coast Journal – Creating a Positive Home Environment for Children
- Khan Academy – Free Online Courses, Lessons & Practice
COVID Community Care Fund
To the 43 organizations who applied for a total of $189,000 in COVID relief, thank you for the good you continue to do in these challenging times. Congratulations to the following recipients on being awarded a total of $55,000:
|AJ’s Transitional Living||$5,000|
|Boys & Girls Club of the Redwoods||$5,000|
|Healy Senior Center||$5,000|
|McKinleyville Community Collaborative||$5,000|
|Wild Souls Ranch||$5,000|
|Breast & GYN Health Project||$4,500|
|Orleans Volunteer Fire Dept.||$4,000|
|Humboldt Botanical Gardens||$3,000|
|CASA of Humboldt||$2,600|
|Southern Trinity Volunteer Fire||$2,000|
|Peninsula School District||$1,800|
|Soroptimist Intl of Eureka||$1,500|
|Golden Age Center||$5,000|
|Trinity Center Volunteer Fire Dept.||$850|
A Message to Our Employees
CCCU President & CEO James Sessa wanted to make sure financial first responders – every Coast Central employee – knows they are appreciated. View his video thanking Team CCCU:
I hope this finds you using our Member Support phone service and digital options like Online and Mobile Banking to access your finances in order to keep you and your loved ones healthy and Sheltering-at-Home.
I wanted to inform you of another significant indicator of change in the ever-evolving COVID-19 issue in our communities. The Humboldt County Health Officer recently announced that starting tomorrow morning, Friday, April 24, all members of the public are required to wear facial coverings before they enter:
- Any indoor facility except their own residence
- Any enclosed space
- Any outdoor space where individuals are unable to maintain at all times a distance of six feet from others.
As a designated essential business, Coast Central must comply with this Order, and that includes members and employees at all of our locations.
We continue to closely monitor other communications from government and health officials and are currently reviewing the opportunity to extend some of our Member Services Branch hours in conjunction with the use of facial coverings, 6-foot distancing, and frequent hand washing and sanitizing. As those decisions are made, we look forward to informing you.
Please keep in mind our Member Support Center can assist with the majority of your transactions and questions at (707) 445-8801, Monday – Friday, 8 am – 6 pm, and Saturdays, 10 am – 2 pm. News and helpful resources about our COVID-19-related loan programs are available for both personal and business members on our web site at coastccu.org.
We must all continue to do our part in taking health and safety precautions, as doing so now helps enable movement in our communities, local businesses to begin to reopen, and individuals and families to gradually return to aspects of their normal lives. Thank you for your continued cooperation, patience, and loyalty.
James T. Sessa,
President & CEO
As you know, we continue to closely monitor and adjust to the ever-worsening COVID-19 crisis in our communities. Not only are the numbers of local individuals with the disease growing rapidly, more than 1 million people have been diagnosed worldwide. We’ve also learned that at least 1/4 of people infected with the coronavirus do not show symptoms – but are still contagious.
Although there are now more aggressive orders by officials to Shelter-in-Place, members continue to frequent our locations, with needs that could be addressed through other options. Under normal circumstances, our employees truly enjoy seeing and assisting you, but currently they are worried for your health, theirs, and that of their families, and so am I. Though Coast Central is a designated essential business and we must continue to provide financial services, it’s now become critical that we do more to protect you and our teams to stop the spread of this terrible disease.
As has been our commitment, it’s imperative that we keep you apprised, and ask for your cooperation, when we find that modifications become necessary. Although all locations remain open for now (with the exception of Bayshore Mall in Eureka), including drive-up windows, we have made the difficult decision to take extra precautions by closing earlier and affecting weekends:
Starting Monday, April 6, until further notice
- Member Services Branches: Monday – Friday, 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
- McKinleyville location: Monday – Friday, 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
Saturdays, 10 am – 2 pmSundays, CLOSED
- McKinleyville location: Monday – Friday, 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
- Member Support Center: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 6 pm
Saturdays, 10 am – 2 pm NEW ADDITION
Be assured that Coast Central will continue to support our employees’ financial and emotional well-being.
Important notes & reminders:
- News and resources are updated daily here on our COVID-19 page.
- The majority of your needs can be filled by calling our Member Support Center, using ATMs at all Coast Central locations, accessing Online Banking, and through our Mobile app, including CheckFlash Deposit.
- We have taken steps to shorten the time it takes for your funds to be available on deposits you make through CheckFlash Mobile and ATMs.
- Our Skip-a-Pay, interest-free loans, mortgage payment deferment and other programs for consumers and businesses continue to be available. Please call (707) 445-8801 for more information.
The COVID-19 pandemic reminds us all of the importance of keeping a (6-foot) distance, yet we’ve also come to recognize that none of us are alone in this battle. I have no doubt that working together, we will pull through this situation stronger than ever. Please keep you and your loved ones safe. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your understanding at this difficult time.
James T. Sessa,
President & CEO
I last emailed you following an order by the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services directing people to shelter at their place of residence effective March 19. The Governor of California also issued an Executive Stay-at-Home Order that day. At the time, there were just two confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Humboldt County and 17 deaths in California. At this moment, there are 21 confirmed cases in the county – and climbing daily, 168 deaths in the State, and nearly 3,000 deaths in our nation.
Last night, the Health and Human Services Department issued a new order with much stronger language regarding the mandate for individuals to Shelter-at-Home until the order is rescinded. As long as Coast Central is identified as an “Essential Business,” we will continue to provide financial services to you. However, our highest priority is keeping you, our employees, and their families safe.
As we begin a new month, your financial needs may increase. Unless it is absolutely critical, we strongly urge you not to come into our Member Services Branches, and instead protect yourself and your loved ones. Please use these options:
- Check deposits: at Coast Central ATMs or through the Coast Central Mobile App.
- Loan or credit card payments: call our Member Support team at (707) 445-8801, use Online Banking, our Mobile App, or mail your payment.
- Statement and balance review: access e-statements through Online or Mobile Banking or call our Member Support team.
- Special Loan programs: learn more and apply below.
For assistance setting up or using any of these options or for other questions, please call us at (707) 445-8801. For news updates and an array of other resources, view our news & information above. We must all work together to stop the spread of this deadly disease. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We sincerely appreciate your membership.
James T. Sessa,
President & CEO
As you are well aware, COVID-19 has made a massive impact on our world. At the very least, it has changed the scope of our everyday routines and at its worst, caused numerous deaths in the US and across the globe. As a designated “essential business”, Coast Central recognizes the importance of making every effort to continue to make financial services available to you – and to keep you and our employees safe.
Today we learned that the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services is establishing an order directing people to shelter at their place of residence, effective at midnight tonight. Our understanding is that these orders are designed to prevent further spread of COVID-19. To date, California has nearly 900 confirmed cases and 17 deaths. In support of this order we are making the following modifications, effective March 20:
These Member Services Branches remain open, with limited number of members in lobbies at a time:
- Arcata Giuntoli – also has drive-thru service
- Arcata Uniontown – walk-up ATM available
- Crescent City – also has drive-thru service
- Eureka Harrison – also has a drive-up ATM
- Eureka Downtown – also has a drive-up ATM
- Fortuna – also has drive-thru service
- McKinleyville – also has a drive-up ATM
- Willow Creek
Please note, due to Bayshore Mall being closed, our Bayshore Member Services Branch is also temporarily closed.
We want to remind and encourage you to use the following as appropriate:
- Online and Mobile Banking services, including the ability to deposit checks, perform transfers between accounts and between members, make loan and other payments, and more. Visit coastccu.org to sign up for Online Banking, and for access on your cell phone or similar device, download the free Coast Central Mobile app.
- Free ATMs at all of our locations and across the country through the CO-OP Network. Text a zip code to 91989 to easily find them.
- Utilize our special loan programs: an Interest-Free Loan and Skip-a-Payment option. Contact us at (707) 445-8801 x 365 Personal loans and x620 for Business loans for details.
- Additionally, Coast Central Financial & Retirement Planning Advisors are available by phone at (707) 445-8801, x 615.
For more information on COVID-19, visit cdc.gov/coronavirus or https://humboldtgov.org/2018/Humboldt-Health-Alert.
For updates on Coast Central, please visit coastccu.org and our Facebook page. If you need further assistance, please call us at
(707) 445-8801, 8 am – 6 pm Monday thru Friday. We appreciate your membership and look forward to serving you for many years to come.
James T. Sessa,
President & CEO
To say we live in uncertain times is an understatement. As always, and even more so now, as the coronavirus (COVID-19) affects our entire world, Coast Central is committed to your well-being and that of our employees. As a member of the Coast Central family, I personally want to assure you that we are actively monitoring the virus’ developments provided by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and our local health agencies, while reinforcing best health practices and cleaning procedures.
We are actively:
- Ensuring every one of our employees is practicing preventative practices as directed by the CDC
- Encouraging our employees to stay at home when they are sick
- Directing our janitorial staff in every location to do deep and consistent cleaning
- Moving scheduled group meetings to video conferencing
- Encouraged social distancing, limited travel and contact
- Developing loan programs specifically for those members experiencing adverse financial impacts from the coronavirus
Steps you can take:
- If you are ill, please refrain from coming inside our Member Services Branches.
- If you are not ill, please allow 6 feet between you and other members at our locations.
- Visit cdc.gov/coronavirus or consult your healthcare professional on best practices to keep you and your loved ones healthy
- Use our full array of Digital Services, with access to your finances 24/7 from wherever you are, including:
- Online & Mobile Banking – transfer money, check balances, pay bills, make loan payments, and more
- CheckFlash and BizFlash remote check deposit
- Coast Central Card Control app – security and control of your Debit & Credit cards
- Free ATMs – 30,000 ATMs within the CO-OP Network. Visit our ATM & Locations Map or text a zip code to 91989 for locations
- Beware of fraud: be very cautious when opening emails or text messages or phone calls from unknown sources, especially any asking for personal information or account user names and passwords. Coast Central will never ask you for your personal information or Online Banking login info in an email or text. Fraudsters’ efforts may be heightened during uncertain times like these.
Our longstanding values of putting you first will continue to guide us as we navigate together through our evolving environment. We sincerely appreciate your membership.
James T. Sessa,
President & CEO
COVID-19 Aid & Assistance:
Consumer Loan Programs
Whether you are looking to Skip-a-Payment or get an interest-free loan, we can help.
Mortgage Loan Program
Business Loan Programs
If your business has been impacted by COVID-19, we have options that may help, including the Paycheck Protection Program.
- City of Arcata Economic Development. In response to business impacts related to COVID-19, the City of Arcata is committed to providing technical and financial support to Arcata’s businesses to help them weather the resulting economic downturn. Information about the new Business Resiliency Emergency Loan Program as well as our existing loan programs, can be found here: https://www.cityofarcata.org/188/Economic-Development
- North Coast Small Business Development Center.
- Client Services Alert. The SBDC has received a massive spike in requests for business consulting, so they are implementing a “client triage process”. Top urgency are clients who need help managing or preventing layoffs or securing financing to cover operating expenses. They have two teams with appropriate expertise ready to work with you immediately. New clients can apply here and returning clients can contact them at email@example.com or (707) 445-9720 x210. They are continuing to support other clients and have advisors ready for you, but their response time will be a little slower for non-crisis requests.
- The SBDC has a comprehensive resource page with a variety of links for local businesses that have questions or are experiencing disruptions and may be in need of support: Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19
- Virtual Layoff Help Rapid Response Event (Humboldt 4/3/2020)
- US Chamber of Commerce.
- The USCOC created the Coronavirus Emergency Loans Small Business Guide and Checklist to help small businesses utilize aid from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.
- The USCOC is opening the application process for Save Small Business Fund grants. This short term relief for small employers in the United States is open to all businesses with 3 – 20 employees in economic vulnerable communities, which the County of Humboldt qualifies. We encourage our members to apply, it’s just a short ten minute process and you will need your business’s W-9 form.
Please don’t hesitate to submit your application, you do not need to be a member of the U.S. Chamber. Grants are $5,000 and must be utilized for business expenses. You only need to apply once, grants will be awarded on a weekly basis until all funds are distributed. Once the grantee has been notified of selection and submitted payment information, it will take three to five days to process payment.
The Save Small Business Fund is administered by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation that is a private sector 501(c)(3) and not a government agency.
For more information and/or to submit your application visit: https://savesmallbusiness.com/#apply.
- U.S. Export-Import Bank Extends Program Waivers, Extensions, and Other Provisions to U.S. Customers and Lenders. These include waivers, deadline extensions, streamlined processing, and flexibility, to our customers for an initial period of 30 days (with the possibility of a further extension. More on their COVID-19 assistance fact sheet.
For questions about other business-related products and services, please contact our Member Business Services team at (707) 445-8801 x 620.
What We're Doing for Members & the Community
In an effort to help slow the spread of COVID-19, we are taking the following safety measures:
- Requesting that members not come into our locations and instead use digital options or call us.
- Limiting the number of HEALTHY members in our lobbies.
- Requiring members to wear facial coverings while in our Member Service Branches.
- Enforcing social distancing – Requiring members to maintain at least a 6-foot distance from other members and our employees at all times.
- Practicing preventative measures as directed by the CDC.
- Directing our janitorial staff in every location to do deep and consistent cleaning.
- Moving scheduled group meetings to video conferencing and limiting employee interactions.
- Developed loan programs specifically for those members experiencing adverse financial impacts from COVID-19.
- Moved employees that work in close quarters to separate locations or working from home.
- Employees are working split shifts at various locations and departments.
- Providing hand sanitizer at each location (as supply permits).
What You Can do to Help
To help flatten the curve and keep our community safe, we ask that you:
Donations and Volunteering
The impacts of COVID-19 are felt far and wide. Please see below for additional ways you can help!
- North Coast Growers Association Farmers’ Markets. Humboldt County Farmers’ Markets need your support more than ever. Community support through participation, cooperation and donations will ensure our continued and safe operations. Read more here: https://www.northcoastgrowersassociation.org/friends.html
Our Digital Services
To help ensure your safety and to protect our community please use the services below:
- Mobile App – Want to check your balances or transfer funds? Use our Mobile App, available for both iPhones and Androids.
- Deposit a check from your phone with CheckFlash on our Mobile App – view our CheckFlash Mobile Deposit FAQs for more info.
- Use our Card Control app to set up alerts, transaction limits, and suspend or reactivate your cards to have peace of mind when you shop with your debit or credit card.
- ATMs – Whether depositing cash or check, or making a withdrawal, visit one of our 18 ATMs.
- Call our Member Support team of experts at (707) 445-8801, Monday-Friday, 8am – 6pm, and Saturdays, 10am – 2pm.
COVID-19 Member FAQs
A: We are strongly urging our members not come into our Member Services Branches and use our alternate options. All of our employees are practicing precautions outlined by the Center for Disease Control, including frequent hand washing, 6-foot distancing in the member line and throughout the entire lobby, wiping down work areas like signature pads and countertops with disinfectant, wearing masks, and using germ shields at all representative windows, New Accounts desks, and loan officer desks as well. We are stocked in disinfectant and hand sanitizer and are using both frequently. We’re also reminding members to use our digital services and ATMs at all locations.
A: The Federal Reserve System has and will continue to meet the cash needs of financial institutions. We are closely monitoring our cash levels and member needs, and being proactive as much as we can.
A: Please be very careful when opening any emails or texts if you don’t know the sender, especially any asking for your personal information. Also be careful about phone calls from strangers directing you to do something with your money; and make sure you have reviewed the location apps on your cell phone to make sure you have only what you and your family need. Remember also that Coast Central will never ask for your Online Banking user names or passwords. For videos on scams and more information about our commitment to your security, you can visit our web site at coastccu.org/security.
A: We’re sorry to hear that. This state of emergency is having such a negative impact on local businesses, and we really want to support you in any way we can. Member Business Services is offering a few options, including Skip-a-Payment for 60 days and the SBA’s Paycheck Protection Program. There are also many resources locally and through government agencies to assist you, and you can learn more on our COVID page here. You can contact our team at (707) 445-8801 at x620 for general loan questions and x631 for PPP questions.
A: There are a couple of options to transfer funds. You can use Online or Mobile Banking. If you haven’t signed up, you can download the Coast Central Mobile app free on your app store or sign up online . Another option is to call our Member Support team of experts at (707) 445-8801. Their newly extended hours are 8 am to 6 pm Monday thru Friday and Saturdays 10 am – 2 pm.
A: As long as Coast Central is identified as an “Essential Business,” we will continue to provide financial services to you through the safest ways possible. But the highest priority is keeping you, CCCU employees, and our families safe. With Humboldt County’s confirmed number of cases climbing so rapidly and the Department of Health and Human Services’ new, stronger order that came out on March 31, Senior Management made the difficult decision to reduce the hours in our locations. We have many other options to do your banking, and you can also call our Member Support Center Monday thru Friday, 8 am – 6 pm at (707) 445-8801 and Saturdays 10 am – 2 pm. And our McKinleyville location is open on Saturdays 10 am – 2 pm for your convenience.
A: Keep in mind that if you deposit the check in our ATM, you’ll have access to up to $200 that day. You can also use CheckFlash through our free Mobile Banking app. It’s really easy to use and very secure, and it also gives you access to up to $200 immediately. We are really looking forward to working together to move past this difficult time and get back to normal.
A: As an essential service, we have a responsibility to be open, with as many employees that are available to work. But we will never do so at the risk of putting them or anyone at risk. Senior Management is frequently communicating with teams at Member Services Branches and departments, reminding them of mandated precautions, listening to additional needs, and addressing them quickly. Many of our teams are now working split-shifts in an effort to stay healthy. We’re also requiring frequent hand washing, 6-foot distancing in the member line and throughout the entire lobby, wiping down work areas like signature pads and countertops with disinfectant, wearing masks, and using germ shields at all representative windows, New Accounts desks, and loan officer desks as well. We are stocked in disinfectant and hand sanitizer and are using both frequently. We are very thankful for all employees who are serving our members on a daily basis.
A: Yes, we have developed an interest-free loan program with a 90-day term as well as Skip-a-Payment options for two consecutive months for those directly affected by COVID-19. Our consumer loan team can be reached at (707) 445-8801 x365 or you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a business member, our team’s extension is x 620. We also offer a Mortgage Deferment Program with a streamlined application and a dedicated team focused just on this program. They can be reached at x619.
Humboldt Area Foundation Assistance
Humboldt Area Foundation and Wild Rivers Community Foundation have launched the COVID-19 Regional Response Fund.
Learn more about how to get or give support on their page, hafoundation.org/Giving/COVID19.
View our latest TV ad
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or concerns. Protecting your health and that of our employees is our highest priority during these challenging times. Please take every precaution to keeping you and your loved ones safe.