Coast Central Awards $50,000 in Community Grants, Spring 2015!
Six community grants totaling $50,000 have been awarded by Coast Central Credit Union. This was announced today by Dean G. Christensen, the credit union’s President/CEO. To date, the credit union has awarded $750,000 to 62 worthwhile community organizations. As part of its Community Investment Program, the credit union’s volunteer Board of Directors approved the following community awards:
- $25,000 to the Boys and Girls Club of the Redwoods, to support the purchase of a passenger van to provide program transportation throughout Humboldt County
- $7,500 to Locally Delicious, Inc, to help fund contracts with local farmers to produce healthy local food for the Food for People Food Bank
- $5,000 to the Pacific Outfitters Green Team, to support the volunteer environmental cleanup efforts at local river bars, beaches, forests, parks, and marshes
- $5,000 to the Reaching for Independence Computer Lab, to support the purchase of computer equipment for work/life and social skills training for adults with developmental disabilities in the Fortuna area
- $5,000 to Southern Trinity Area Rescue, to help fund the purchase of safety and communications equipment for STAR volunteer ambulances, operating in rural Humboldt and Trinity communities
- $2,500 to the Friends of the Willow Creek Library, to help fund library building improvements and the acquisition of educational materials for the Young Adult and Kids’ Corner program
According to Dean G. Christensen, “the Coast Central Community Investment Program commits $100,000 each year to assist community organizations throughout Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity counties. This $100,000 is divided into two separate ‘rounds’ of $50,000 each. Individual awards range generally from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $25,000 and are granted to approximately three to six organizations during each round.” Christensen also stated that “on behalf of our membership, our Board, management and staff, I’m very proud that we’re able to give back to the communities we serve. This level of giving by the credit union will provide these organizations the necessary stimulus to do special projects and offset budget shortfalls that have become so common in recent years.”
This program, started in February 2008, is in addition to the numerous contributions and donations we already make to community organizations throughout the year. Recommendations from a pool of requests were made to the credit union’s Board of Directors by a committee comprised of credit union staff. Christensen stated, “Coast Central would also like to recognize and thank the Humboldt Area Foundation and Director of Grantmaking, Sara Dronkers for assistance in our selection process.”
The second round of community grants by the credit union for 2015 is beginning now. Applications for grant requests can be obtained online at coastccu.org or by contacting the credit union at (707) 445-8801, ext. 309. You can also contact the Humboldt Area Foundation. The deadline for this round is Friday, February 27, 2015.