Coast Central Community Investment Program Awards $50,000 in Community Grants, Spring 2017!
Five community grants totaling $50,000 have been awarded by Coast Central Credit Union. This was announced today by Dean G. Christensen, the credit union’s President/CEO. To date, the credit union has awarded $950,000 to 80 worthwhile community organizations. As part of its Community Investment Program, the credit union’s volunteer Board of Directors approved the following community awards:
- $13,989 to the Trinity County Life Support, to support the purchase of a Stryke battered-powered gurney to assist with emergency medical care.
- $10,200 to the Wild Souls Ranch to support the service horses used with foster youth and adopted youth.
- $10,096 to the Healy Senior Center of Southern Humboldt, to renovate their commercial kitchen, utilized with 4,000 per year for seniors and homebound individuals.
- $8,000.00 to the Zero Waste Humboldt, to purchase three hydrations stations, to assist with their goal of reducing single-use plastic water bottles.
- $7,715.00 to Willow Creek Youth Partners (dba Dream Quest) to provide update computers used within their Computer Learning Center for local youth around Humboldt and Trinity County.
According to Dean G. Christensen, “the Coast Central Community Investment Program commits $100,000 each year to assist community organizations throughout Humboldt, Del Norte and Trinity counties. This $100,000 is divided into two separate rounds of $50,000 each. Individual awards range generally from a minimum of $5,000 to a maximum of $25,000 and are granted to approximately three to six organizations during each round.” Christensen also stated that “on behalf of our membership, our volunteer Board of directors, management, and staff, I’m very proud that we’re able to give back to the communities we serve. This level of giving by the credit union will provide these organizations the necessary stimulus to do special projects and offset budget shortfalls that have become so common in recent years.”
This program, which started in February 2008, is in addition to the numerous sponsorship contributions Coast Central makes to community organizations throughout the year. Recommendations from a pool of requests were made to the credit union’s volunteer Board of Directors by a committee comprised of credit union staff. Christensen stated, “Coast Central would also like to recognize and thank the Humboldt Area Foundation and Director of Grantmaking, Sara Dronkers for assistance in our selection process.”
The second round of community grants by the credit union for 2017 is beginning now. Applications for grant requests can be obtained online or by contacting the credit union at (707) 445-8801, ext. 309. You can also contact the Humboldt Area Foundation. The deadline for this round is Thursday, August 31, 2017.